Audubon's Kingfisher

Audubon's Kingfisher

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Desert Sands Challenge - I promise there is more!

Greetings and Welcome!

I received my lovely kit....and thought (foolishly) that I had plenty of time to make something with bead embroidery....nope. Cold weather and stiff fingers worked against me.



I did manage to get the embroidery project started. The stone practically screamed at me when visiting my friend Candy's shop, Bird Tail Beads.  It reminded me so much of the desert at dusk. I can remember as a kid sitting out on the front steps waiting for it to get dark, we lived across from a farm and the barn owls would fly out right a dusk to catch mice and rats.

I used a piece of the chain and a few of the czech glass beads from the kit to create a necklace for the owl (she asked for one...just look at her.)


I was stumped with the handmade focal from Andrew, part of me saw it as a star and another part of me saw it as a compass...I went with the compass concept, the rest of the design fell into place while I was thumbing through one of my magazines. The original design was by Jess Italia Lincoln of Vintaj and published in Jewelry Affaire Magazine Autumn 2014 edition.


And since I decided to pull out ALL of my Vintaj pieces and actually use some of them, I created this necklace and earring set based on another pattern (this time from the Vintaj website Inspiration board at www.vintaj.com) I painted the pendant and the links. The glass tear drop, givre glass faceted rounds, shell heishi and sequins are from the kit. 

I made a pair of earring to go with it, however, I am taking horrible photos in my poorly lit apartment in an effort to get this posted on time. I will be retaking some on a sunny weekend day if we get one.

And last but not least, a fun wrap bracelet (Thank you to the nice lady on You Tube for the video instructions, I think your name was Abby.)


Thank you to Andrew for another amazing kit. I love how each one has taken me on a little journey. Thanks also to Jess at Vintaj for her earthy and wonderful designs and to Abby? who made and posted the wrap bracelet tutorial on You Tube.

Happy Beading!

Don't forget to visit all the artists that participated in this challenge!


9 comments:

  1. You got a lot designed....and each piece is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful pieces...the owl is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work! I love the color of the Vintaj pendant and the compass interpretation is spot on! And yes the owl looks lovely with her necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice boho looks. I can't wait to see the owl finished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pieces. Your bead embroidery piece is going to be fabulous! I love the Vintaj components you picked, especially the link that echoes the mystery component in that necklace. The wrap bracelet is such a pretty mix of beads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great designs! I can't wait to see your owl when she is finished!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow! You've created an entire Desert Sands collection! All of the pieces are simply stunning! Good job! I think you pumped up the color and contrast by adding the blue! It really POPS your pieces and provides a nice counterpoint to the beiges and warm creams. Nice! Thanks so much for participating in the challenges! It is always fun to see what you'll make!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so impressed with everything you were able to create with this wonderful kit! The focal bead for the bead embroidery piece is stunning and adds a great pop of color.
    I see I'm not the only one to run to my Vintaj components ~ they do go so well with this kit.
    I really enjoy all of your pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please accept my apologies, I am so behind on the challenges! These designs are so amazingly gorgeous. The owl (and I LOVE owls) is just fantastic. The cabochon looks like a scene from the night sky and the owl just blows me away with the detail. Fabulous, I love where you are going with this. I also thought of the mystery component as a compass. Your necklace really captured that idea with the addition of the arrow toggle. I love the patina-ed necklace, it looks antique and very pretty. Great job on the wrap bracelet, those are my favorite colors...very earthy and the dangles really add to the whimsy!

    ReplyDelete